Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Farewell Gilli & Potluck Party

Adam Gilchrist redefined cricket in so many ways. He has set the benchmark for a wicketkeeper batsman and I'll be surprised if ever there was someone close to him again. While it is mostly exciting to watch all the Australian batsmen in test matches, Gilchrist was the man I used to wait for. I still remember his 152 against England on his Ashes debut, especially because he added 63 runs for the final wicket with Glenn McGrath in 8 overs and he scored 62 of those. To me, he was a more consistent "Michael Jordan of cricket" than even Sachin (although I love Sachin more), and by MJ of cricket I mean, someone who can single-handedly take the game away from the opposition, someone who gives sports lovers goose pimples, someone who defines the very reason I watch sports. It's good that he went before he was pushed (by the board, the "experts" who write newspaper columns already did push him).

In every All Time Greatest World XIs of cricket, Adam Gilchrist will probably be the only man who will appear in both the test and one day teams.

Pic courtesy: Google Images

In other news, we had a potluck party at a friend's place last weekend. It was good fun and good food. It was a gathering of "new" friends, and it helped in accelerating the path to becoming normal friends. Some photos from the event:


Some great food on display.....all dishes were delicious because everyone (or every couple) had made their specialty!!

A closer look at the spread...

Prasi's (and hence, mine also) dish for the day - Chocolate Cake....Sinful Temptation

Dumb Charades in full flow...kind of the unplanned ice-breaker at the party...

Special thanks to the host for the day, Divya (extreme left in the pic) for keeping the party atmosphere and the finger food flowing for the entire day. It did take 2 hours to ge to her house, but it was completely worth it. Next on the agenda is a barbeque party...

3 comments:

supernova said...

I started liking Gilchrist only after your repeated raving of him!

The potluck was good fun, especially dumb charades and UNO. I'm all ready for the barbeque now!

Anonymous said...

Hi A,

How is Prasi now? I dont have your email ID, so I'm leaving a message here.

-Abi

{a} said...

Prasi's good Abi. I suppose you've already chatted with her.